Today is cupcake day! Hit up your local bakery, they might be running a special or have freebies to celebrate.
Cupcakes are always great, but what has caused the big craze with them over the last year or so I don’t know. There’s even a show now about some cupcake makers in D.C.. And in SLC there is a cupcake maker that started at the farmer’s market there and now has this really popular show downtown. There’s a new cupcake shop here in Ogden too.
My personal favorite are gingerbread cupcakes, especially this recipe:
Ginger Bread Cupcakes
- 1c. All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 tsp. Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp. Ground Ginger
- 1/2 tsp. Ground Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. All Spice
- 1/4 tsp. Nutmeg
- 1/4tsp. Baking Soda
- 1/8 tsp. Salt
- 1 Egg White (Slightly Beaten)
- 1/3 c. Molasses
- 1/3 c. Water
- 3 tbsp. Cooking Oil
- Preheat oven to 350. Line muffin tin with cupcake papers and set aside.
- In medium mixing bowl combine flour, baking powder, ginger, cinnamon, all spice, nutmeg, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl stir together egg, molasses, water and oil.
- Add liquid mixture to dry ingredients and mix until just blended.
- Spoon batter into cupcake into the muffin tin.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes (until cupcakes spring bake when pressed lightly in the center). A sprinkling of brown sugar is a great addition on the top of the hot cupcakes.
Makes about 8 cupcakes.
Etsians have been following the cupcake trends as well. Search for cupcake and over 37,000 items show up in the handmade category alone.
The Etsy artists featured in this article are:
babycakesanddecor, BabytalkDesigns, beadpassion, chloescloseboutique, CozyMoments, craftyaddictions, doodlebugdesign, EmbellishedPaper, FreshyFig, GetSassed, graceprintables, ilovefancyshmancy, kawaiidesune, KcSoapNmore, monkeyminddesign09, munkie716, PaintedByRenee, PartyParade, silverspoonscraps, SwankyCameraCouture, theboldbanana, TwoSugarBabies, ViviansKitchen, and Zummi