Yes I haven’t posted in a while. The reason is I have been out of town for a couple of weeks. The good news is during that time I had access to a nice clutter free workspace to crack down on my back log of wing designs (Oh how I long for a new apartment).
This was a custom order for a garden project, and there may be a few more of these to come. The person ordering wanted to see how they worked out before ordering more. As usual I used the 14 gauge fence wire and electrical tape to create the frame work and nylon stretched over the frame to create the canvas. One thing that was different on these is instead of tacking in the points that needed pulled in to creat the overall shape I hand serged all the edges. It gave it this really cool tattered look on the edges oddly enough. Glitter and modgepodge glue was used to do the decorations and a shimmer spray to give it some pop. Then it was MASSIVELY coated in exterior quality spray on laquer. This pair had to be made as weather proof as possible and so I didn’t want to take anything to chance and did several extra coats.
I also FINALLY finished up these blue butterfly wings, which will be going up in my shop soon (if I don’t cave into temptation and keep them. I’ve grown really fond of this pair).
This frame is actually for another custom order from a friend who thankfully ordered early for halloween before the rush. I don’t have a picture yet but this one is already stretched, serged, and waiting to be decorated. When complete this will be a half angel half demon set. The final set (pictures coming soon) will have flames worked on both sides. The demon side will be the more traditional flames in reds, oranges and yellows. The angel side however will have a little more twisty type flames in blues, silvers and purples.
I have also begun work on this design. It is a dream catcher pair of wings that will probably be more for display than wear (although I fully intend them to be wearable). Now I have only made a dream catcher once in my entire life, and that was in 3rd grade using a paper plate and yarn, so this particular pair is coming along a little slowly as I learn how to make a one for real. Probably not the best idea to learn on such an odd shape, but then again when do I do things simply. I do have the framework completed and the leather wrapped on one of the top segments. I did not realize how much leather it takes however and am waiting till I can go get more. I think I’m going to do an entire post devoted to these later on and include a set by step of it.
Another set that is currently being serged is a pair modeled off of a mermaid painting I saw at an art show resently. If I can get permission from the artist I will post an image of the tail that gave me the idea. One thing I can show you though is the image I will be adding onto one to the wing segments. This fish I did using henna on a painted canvas. I want to work a similar one onto the wings using a sand painting techique in a fine glitter.
Here is a glimpse into my design book. Some of these have the frames built and even a couple are stretched already. As you can see these wings are developing into a more detailed craft for me. I’m having a lot of fun working on them.
No worries about the other projects though, I have not forgotten them. The amigurumi dragon is still well under way, although I tend to work on him when I am out and about (I’m one of those people who just cannot be idle, so he made a perfect traveling/commuting/eating out project). I am making the pattern from scratch so there has been a lot of crocheting then unraveling things that don’t work but I’m learning a lot about amigurumi in the process and taking notes so that if he turns out well I’ll make the pattern available. So far both front legs are complete and one back leg is finished. The back leg is what hung me up for a while because it was a bit tricky to get the shaping I wanted for it.
I plan to have some finished pics of the wings I’m working on this week up soon. See you then.